Leon Levy Preserve
The Leon Levy Preserve, formerly the Bell property, was purchased by the Town of Lewisboro in 2005. It is 383 acres of forest and wetlands located in the watersheds of both New York City and Stamford, and provides a portion of their drinking water supply. The purchase was made possible by a $5-million-dollar contribution from the Jerome Levy Foundation and $500,000 from the Dextra Baldwin McGonagle Foundation.
Shelby White, whose late husband, Leon Levy, was the Levy Foundation’s primary benefactor, worked with the Town, the Lewisboro Land Trust and the Westchester Land Trust to assure that this largest tract of undeveloped land in Lewisboro would always be preserved and protected and accessible to the community.
The preserve has an extensive trail system and ruins of the Black mansion (1899-1979) and other outbuildings.
In 2015, the Leon Levy Native Plant Garden was added by Lewisboro Land Trust with a grant from the Levy Foundation.
Look out for...
Wetlands rich in wildlife, a ravine with 25 foot cliffs, diverse hardwood forest, rare plants such as Purple Milkweed and Blue Cohosh; native plant garden adjacent to parking lot.